The Do’s and Don’ts of Eyelash Extensions
Eyelash extensions have become a popular beauty trend in recent years, offering the allure of long, voluminous lashes without the need for mascara. While eyelash extensions can enhance your natural beauty, there are important do’s and don’ts to keep in mind to ensure your lashes look fabulous and stay healthy.
- Research Your Technician: Before booking an appointment for eyelash extensions, do your homework. Seek out a certified and experienced technician who works in a reputable salon. Reading reviews and asking for recommendations from friends can help you find the right professional.
- Communicate Your Preferences: During your consultation, clearly communicate your desired lash look to your technician. Discuss the length, curl, and volume you want to achieve, as well as any concerns or allergies you may have.
- Maintain Clean Lashes: It’s crucial to arrive at your appointment with clean, makeup-free lashes. This ensures a better bond between the extensions and your natural lashes. Cleanse your lashes thoroughly before your appointment and avoid using oil-based makeup removers.
- Follow Instructions: After your eyelash extensions are applied, your technician will provide you with aftercare instructions. Follow these guidelines diligently to ensure your lashes last longer and remain in good condition. This may include avoiding water, steam, or oil-based products for the first 24-48 hours.
- Groom Regularly: Comb your eyelash extensions daily with a clean spoolie brush to prevent them from tangling or clumping. This helps maintain a neat and natural appearance.
- Schedule Regular Fills: Eyelash extensions have a finite lifespan, typically lasting about 4-6 weeks. To keep your lashes looking full and fresh, schedule regular fills every 2-3 weeks.
- Don’t Attempt DIY: Applying eyelash extensions requires skill and precision. Avoid attempting to do them yourself at home. DIY lash extensions can lead to uneven or clumpy results and may even damage your natural lashes.
- Avoid Excessive Rubbing: Be gentle with your eyelash extensions. Avoid rubbing or pulling on them, as this can cause them to prematurely shed or damage your natural lashes.
- Avoid Waterproof Mascara: Waterproof mascara on eyelash extensions can be difficult to remove and may weaken the bond between the extensions and your natural lashes. Opt for water-based or oil-free mascara if you feel the need to use it.
- Skip Oil-Based Products: Oil-based skincare products, cleansers, and makeup removers can break down the adhesive used for eyelash extensions, causing them to fall out faster.
- Don’t Overdo It: While it’s tempting to go for the longest and fullest lashes available, it’s essential to choose extensions that are appropriate for your natural lashes. Overloading your lashes with extensions that are too heavy or long can lead to damage and discomfort.
Eyelash extensions can be a fantastic way to enhance your natural beauty, but they require proper care and maintenance. Follow these do’s and don’ts to achieve stunning and healthy lashes that last.
Check out Daytona College!
If you’re interested in learning how to apply eyelash extensions and exploring a career in the beauty industry, you should check out Daytona College. Our Cosmetology program or Full Specialist with Spa Services program are just two of our beauty programs that will provide you with real-life experience and skills you need to a career in the beauty and wellness industry. Contact us to learn more or give us a call at 386-267-0565 today!