Resume Tips for Medical Billers and Coders
If you’re interested in joining the healthcare industry, but prefer administrative duties over direct patient care, a career as a medical biller or coder may be right for you. If you want to land the job of your dreams, you’ll need to create a compelling resume that helps you stand out from other candidates. Here are some resume tips for medical billers and coders to take your resume to the next level.
Organizing your resume
It’s important to build your resume in a way that puts your best foot forward. If you have been working as a medical biller or coder for a while, you should list your employment experience first. If however, you are a recent graduate or have little to no experience in the field, you’ll want to lead with your education.
Tips to help you stand out
- Look online for resume examples for medical billers or coders that you can use to help you create a professional format with clear headings and bullet points.
- Start with a summary of your skills, experience, and relevant qualifications for the specific job you’re applying for.
- Be sure to highlight any relevant coursework or training, and any applicable work experience.
- Be clear and concise but also use industry-specific keywords that employers might be searching for.
- Use key words from the job description to describe your skills to clear through the applicant tracking systems (ATS) used by some employers.
- Use action verbs to describe your responsibilities and accomplishments (such as excelled at, mastered, managed, spearheaded, led, developed, created, etc.).
- Proofread your resume multiple times and have a friend or mentor read and proofread it as well.
- Include all your contact information.
Get the skills you need at Daytona College
At Daytona College you will have access to professionals in your field of study and career services staff to assist you in preparing a resume that represents you and reflects your strengths. Your resume is a working document, and you will update it with new skills or responsibilities/duties, additional education or certifications achieved and contact information changes.
The Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Coding and Billing for Electronic Medical Records Online program at Daytona College provides comprehensive online training in insurance billing, coding, medical records management, and a variety of healthcare specific administrative functions. We also offer an online diploma program which can be completed in as little as 45 weeks.